Apartment Association of Fort Wayne - Northeast Indiana

Find An Apartment Membership Information Find an Apartment

Low Income Housing | Section 8 Housing


Looking for an apartment that will either base your rent on income or have income guidelines that you must meet?

There are several options available to you in northeast Indiana, including Public Housing, Housing Choice Vouchers (also known as Subsidized or Section 8 Housing), and Tax Credit or Section 42 Housing. Each program has different requirements, so we have listed some basic information below. There are also lists at the bottom that you can download that tell you which Apartment Association member properties participate in each program. For additional details or specific questions, you would need to call the participating apartment community directly.

View Section 42 Properties

View Subsidized Apartments


What is Public Housing?
Public housing was established to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities. Public housing comes in all sizes and types, from scattered single family houses to highrise apartments for elderly families. There are approximately 1.2 million households living in public housing units, managed by some 3,300 local housing authorities. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) administers Federal aid to local housing agencies (HAs) that manage the housing for low-income residents at rents they can afford.

What are Housing Choice Vouchers?
The housing choice voucher program is the federal government's major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing in the private market. Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own housing, including single-family homes, townhouses and apartments. The participant is free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program and is not limited to units located in subsidized housing projects. Housing choice vouchers are administered locally by public housing agencies (PHAs). The PHAs receive federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to administer the voucher program. A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family's choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program. This unit may include the family's present residence. Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by the PHA. A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by the PHA on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program.

What are Section 42 ~ Tax Credit Properties?
The Rental Housing Tax Credit (RHTC) is a tax incentive program established under Section 42 of the Internal Revenue Code to provide an incentive to developers to provide affordable rental housing. These federal income tax credits offset the building acquisition, new construction, and/or substantial rehabilitation costs for rental housing developments. Rental Housing Tax Credits (RHTCs) are allocated to for-profit and not-for-profit developers of affordable rental housing. In exchange for the financing provided through the tax credit, developers agree to keep rents affordable for a period between 15 and 30 years. Units financed with RHTCs must be rented to persons at or below 60% of the area median income. RHTC rental properties are privately owned and managed.

For specific information on the tax credit program and eligibility requirements to live at a property that has tax credits, you must call the specific property that you are interested in.

~ Information above on each program was digested from the HUD.gov website

~ The local housing authority for Fort Wayne that administers the Public Housing and Housing Choice Voucher program is the Fort Wayne Housing Authority. For eligibility requirements go to HUD.gov or contact your local housing authority.


Fort Wayne Housing Authority
7315 Hanna St., PO Box 13489, Fort Wayne, Indiana 46869-3489
(260) 267-9300

For all housing authorities in Indiana