Holiday Decoration Safety Tips
Happy Holidays! Decorating for the holidays is fun and festive, but also brings an increased risk of fire hazards, especially in apartments. Follow these tips to make sure you are not at risk!
- Christmas Trees
- Stay away from fresh cut trees, instead purchase a reusable artificial tree!
- Keep the tree at least 3 feet away from heat sources.
- If you decide to use a fresh cut tree, make sure to discard of it as soon as it is dried out. A dried out tree is a HUGE fire hazard!
- Holiday Lighting
- Keep inside lights indoors and outside lights outdoors.
- Make sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for installation and maintenance.
- Inspect new and used string lights and throw away any that appear to be damaged.
- Unlug all decorations and lights when you leave or go to bed (this will help with your electric bill too!)
- Use stable holders for candles in a spot where they will not be disturbed.
- Never use lit candles to decorate a Christmas tree.
- Never leave a lit candle unattended and also extinguish whenever you leave or go to bed.
- Don't place candles near flammable objects (especially your Christmas tree).
- Keep burning candles out of the reach of children!
Keep these easy tips in mind while decorating your apartment for the holidays! Happy decorating!