How to Host the BEST Thanksgiving in Your Apartment!
Can you believe Thanksgiving is only in a few days?! Thanksgiving dinner can be awesome in any sized space. It IS possible to host your family and friends in your apartment and give them a memorable experience! Check out these tips to get ready for the festivities.
- How much oven space do you have?
- How much cookware is available for you?
- How many people can you fit in your apartment?
- How much space is available in your refrigerator/freezer?
- What ingredients will you need? Which ones will you be able to find?
- Cook some dishes ahead of time.
- Give the appropriate amount of time for defrosting frozen turkey (Hint: for every 4-5 pounds of turkey you need about 24 hours of thawing time)
- Guest list and seating
- A mathmatetical approach: (Square footage of your apartment / 5) = # of guests that fit comfortably in your space!
- Decide how many seats you will need. Don't be afraid to rearrange furniture or borrow chairs from a friend!
- Keep decorations small and simple
- Have small centerpieces and color palettes simple.
- Small spaces become cluttered quickly, so be mindful of your decorations!
- Make your space "feel" larger
- Use natural light by opening your shades and turning on lamps
- Use decorative pieces like mirrors
- Guest-proof and clean your apartment
- Store away personal items
- Remove anything low to the ground (especially if children are present)
- Have your guests bring food
- Feeling overwhelmed by cooking for everyone? Make it a potluck!
- Try to assign a certain dish per guest to save time and stress
AAFW-NEI wishes you all a Happy Thanksgiving!